It's very cold today. The beautiful sunny weather for last few days led me into this assumption that winter is receding finally with spring taking over, but no my surmise turned utterly wrong when I went out in the morning today. The cool breeze left me feeling chilled to the bone. Aw, how I hate winter!!....No, actually I loved the winter of Kolkata, but the winter of US just gets on my nerve. You feel the cold here in extremities, hardly comparable with the coldness back home. It's kind of discomforting :)
Back to the recipe, Aloo Poha is a simple breakfast, awesome in taste. My mother used to prepare it often for breakfasts, but now I finish my breakfast with 2 biscuits and hence such luxury of cooking a proper breakfast is out of option. My hubby does not like taking any food so early in the morning before going to work, so he completes his breakfast with tea and snacks at office only. This aloo poha made its way to our dinner plate, rather and what fancy meal it had been, worth noting down.
ü 150 gm flattened rice
ü 1 small sized potato (cut into small cubes)
ü 5-6 green chillies (chopped)
ü Few sprigs of coriander leaves (roughly chopped)
ü 15 gm peanuts (1 tbsp)
ü 10 gm raisins (8-10) (soaked in water)
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü Salt to taste
ü Lemon juice (1 tbsp)
ü White oil for cooking
ü 1 tsp urad dal or split black lentils (dried and skinned)
ü 1 tsp chana dal or split chickpeas
ü 1 tsp black mustard seeds
1) Soak the flattened rice in water for 5 minutes. Drain the water.
2) Then add turmeric powder and salt to the rice and mix in properly using hands.
3) Now heat oil in a skillet. Add the ingredients for sauté and allow them to crackle. Then add peanuts and potato cubes. Brown them a bit, stirring occasionally.
4) Add coriander leaves, green chilies and raisins. Stir till coriander leaves wilt away into the mixture.
5) Now add the poha or flattened rice. Stir in to mix all the ingredients well. Keep the poha on low flame for 5-7 minutes, stirring sporadically. Squeeze lemon juice before turning the heat off.
6) Serve hot.