Finally we have moved in to an apartment here. Last few days got spent in a flurry of activity to arrange the basic set up at our new home. I am feeling pretty excited. The apartment, 2 years old is in a pristine condition and the moment I entered there first time; I fell in love with the cosy ambiance. For me, a home should exude a feeling of warmth and that is what I feel in my new abode.
This time I was growing really desperate to leave the hotel despite the luxuries we were enjoying there. It's a pain to see a cluster of faces, which put you through a tough time immediately upon your arrival, every weekend and it's wearisome to keep a fake smile on in front of those whom you resent.
The recipe below I picked up from a cookery show presented by Aditya Bal. I have made few changes into the recipe as per my convenience, but more or less, I have tried adhering to the original one.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 40-50 minutes
ü 1 kg chicken on the bones
ü 1 large cup of yogurt
ü 2-3 heaped tbsp of cream
ü 1 tsp ginger paste
ü 1 tsp garlic paste
ü 5-6 dry red chillies
ü Few sprigs of coriander leaves (chopped)
ü White oil for cooking
ü 2 tsp of ghee (optional)
For special garam masala:
ü 1 inch cinnamon stick
ü 1 tsp nutmeg powder
ü 3-4 brown cardamoms
ü 4-5 green cardamoms
ü 1 tsp cumin seeds
ü 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
ü 4-5 cloves
ü 2 bay leaves
ü 5-6 dry red chillies
1) Dry roast the ingredients for special garam masala and then grind them into powder.
2) Now marinate the chicken with the special garam masala powder, yogurt, cream, ginger and garlic paste. Refrigerate for an hour.
3) Heat oil in a pan. When oil turns smoking hot, add chicken and slightly brown them. Add salt.
4) Put a bit of water into the bowl of marinade and pour it onto the chicken. Cook covered till chicken is tender. Reduce the gravy to thick and dry consistency.
5) A minute before taking the chicken off the flame, heat oil in a ladle and temper it with few dry red chillies and chopped coriander leaves. Add this tadka to the chicken. Mix in and turn the heat off. (If you are using ghee, about this time drizzle 2 tsp of ghee over the chicken and stir to mix properly.)
6) Relish Murg Himachali with rumali roti, pulao or naan.