I love honey. Who doesn't by the way? Some quick notes on honey before I share the recipe with you:
Honey is fat free and cholesterol free. According to report honey helps burn fats during sleep. Honey, a natural sweetener, sweeter than normal table sugar is a great substitute for sugar. Drinking a glass of lukewarm water mixed with 1 tbsp of honey and lemon juice early in the morning is a good way to start your day. It yields effective results to people working on weight reduction. Infact, taking a tablespoon or two honey at night either mixed with warm water or right out of the jar before retiring to bed accelerates the functioning of body metabolism and liver putting into operation the fat-burning process.
The unique composition of honey with low water content and high acidic level makes it impervious to the growth of microbes. Hence honey unless kept open in air remains in perfectly good condition for years.
I made the Honey Glazed Almond Cake to last us through the several hours long road trip to New York last week. My hubby while driving for long hours needs to fuel himself up with something sweet. Nothing but a piece of homemade cake or muffin works better for the purpose. Since I am bit cautious about his diet, I add as little sugar as possible compensating it with honey. I don't find artificial sugar reliable for daily use because of many long run health hazards involved with it.
Information accredited to: http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/honey-facts.html
Ingredients: Cooking time: 1 hr 30 minutes approx.
ü 1/2 cup butter, plus extra for greasing
ü 1 3/4 cup self-rising flour
ü 1 tsp baking powder
ü 3/4 cup brown sugar
ü 1/2 cup milk
ü 3 tbsp honey
ü 2 eggs
ü 1/2 cup slivered almonds
ü 2/3 cup honey
ü 2 tbsp lemon juice
1) Whip together butter, eggs, milk, brown sugar and honey to a mixture of smooth and light consistency.
2) In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder. Gently incorporate the egg-butter mixture into the flour until just combined. Don't overstir.
3) Pre-heat oven to 370 F/ 187 C. Grease an 8 inch round spring form cake pan. Spoon the cake batter into the pan and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Uniformly sprinkle the slivered almonds on top.
4) Bake for about 45 minutes till a wooden skewer or a toothpick inserted at the centre comes out clean.
5) Meanwhile as the cake goes baking, prepare the glaze by simmering honey and lemon juice together on low heat for 5 minutes until the honey loses its apparent stickiness and becomes watery in consistency.
6) Take the cake out of the oven as soon as it is done. Pour the glaze over it, allowing it seep into the cake. Let the cake cool in the pan for at least 2 hours before serving.
7) Enjoy !