My mother in law, as I must have mentioned thousand times in my previous posts, is very fond of veggies preferring it over anything else, fish, chicken, mutton and the like. She, most of the time, abstains from adding tomatoes, onion or any other ingredient deemed as sacrosanct in cooking a delectable curry, yet bringing out a taste that far outweighs the ones cooked grandiosely with miscellaneous items.
This Alu Potol er Jhol that I learned from her is very simple in concoction, yet mouthwatering and hence one of my favourites because it saves me the pain of chopping onions, a loathsome task of any cooking arrangement. It accompanies chapati, roti and rice very well. Initially after marriage when I was not so fond of potols, my mother in law whenever we visited them would cook this dish helping a great deal in developing my taste bud for the veggie.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 20 minutes
ü 100 gm potols or pointed gourds
ü 1 large potato (cut into cubes)
ü 4-5 green chillies
ü 3 tsp cumin seeds
ü 1 tsp cumin powder
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü 1 tsp kashmiri red mirch
ü 1 tsp ginger paste
ü Salt to taste
ü 2 tsp sugar
ü 1 tsp panch phoron (a mix of five spices including fennel seeds, methi seeds, nigella seeds, black mustard seeds and cumin seeds)
ü White oil for cooking
1) Snip the pointed ends of the gourds or potols and then cut them into halves width wise.
2) Grind cumin seeds and green chillies into fine paste with a sprinkling of water.
3) Heat oil in a wok. When oil turns hot, add panch phoron and allow them to sputter.
4) Add potatoes and potols. Shallow fry them, stirring sporadically.
5) Add cumin and green chilli paste. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, kashmiri red mirch, salt and sugar. Add ginger paste and mix the ingredients well.
6) Add 1/2 cup of water and simmer away the gravy for 2-3 minutes.
7) Finally you may add little more water further to thin the consistency of the gravy or keep as it is, as per your discretion. Boil the gravy a bit in case adding water.
8) Serve hot with rice or chapati or roti.