Soya chunks are good substitutes for protein derived from animal meat. So veggies can compensate their protein deficiency by eating more pulses, soya beans and soya nuggets. I particularly love soya chunks because of the meaty taste. If cooked properly, it tastes really mouth-watering.
Okay, no more diversion from the main topic….here goes the recipe for you. It’s yummy and healthy. Enjoy !
Ingredients: Cooking time: 40 minutes
ü 2 cups of soya chunks
ü 1 large tomato (pureed)
ü 1 medium sized potato (cubed)
ü 1 capsicum (chopped)
ü 1 carrot (chopped)
ü 1 cup of beans (chopped)
ü 1 cup of green peas (parboiled)
ü 1 tsp ginger paste
ü 5-6 green chilies (chopped)
ü 2 tbsp grated coconut
ü 2 heaped tbsp yogurt
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü 2 tsp cumin powder
ü 1 tsp coriander powder
ü 1 1/2 tsp roasted fennel powder
ü 1 tsp nutmeg powder
ü 1 tsp red chilli powder
ü 1 tsp garam masala powder
ü Salt to taste
ü 2 tsp sugar or as per your wish
ü White oil for cooking
ü 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
ü 1/2 tsp hing powder
1) Soak soya chunks in water for 2-3 hours and then wash them under running water and squeeze the water out of the soya chunks. Alternately, you might also bring 1/2 cup of milk and 1 cup of water together to boil and then drop the soya chunks in. Turn the heat off and let soya chunks be soaked in that water for half an hour or so before you squeeze the juice out.
2) Heat oil in a pan. When oil turns smoking hot, add the ingredients for sauté and let them sputter.
3) Then add potatoes and shallow fry. When potatoes take a nice orange hue, toss in carrots, beans, capsicums and green peas, in that order. Stir in and shallow fry them too.
4) Add ginger paste, cumin powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, roasted fennel powder, nutmeg powder and salt. Mix them properly and cook covered till the vegetables are half tender.
5) Throw the soya chunks in. Add grated coconut, green chilies and yogurt. Mix in properly. Season with sugar. Add water as per your need for gravy and cook covered till all the vegetables are cooked through.
6) Finally when the curry seems done, sprinkle garam masala powder on top and give a good stir.
7) Garnish with cottage cheese fritters.