Shalgam in English is called Turnip. Though in Bengal, shalgam is not as popularly used as the other vegetables like potato, bottle gourd, eggplant, pumpkin, radish and papaya, my mother makes varieties of preparations with shalgam. It tastes really nice, somewhat close to the taste of bottle gourd and potato combined. Turnip roots are a rich source of anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals and fibers. Because of its low calorie content, addition of turnip roots in your regular diet helps you keep your weight under control.
Recently I made this rohu curry substituting potato with shalgam, the turnout came out to be delicious to say the least. Both me and my hubby relished the fish curry with steamed rice for two days to the full satisfaction of our tummies. This curry besides fulfilling the craving of your palate satisfies those of the nutritional needs of your body.
For more of fish recipes, please click the links below:
Ingredients: Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
ü 6 rohu pieces (rubbed in a pinch of turmeric powder, salt and 1 tbsp of mustard oil)
ü 2 shalgam or turnip roots (chopped into medium size cubes)
ü 1 onion (chopped)
ü 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
ü 5-6 green chillies (slit)
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü 1 tsp kashmiri red mirch
ü 1 tsp cumin powder
ü 1 tsp coriander powder
ü 1 tsp garam masala powder
ü Salt to taste
ü Mustard oil for cooking
ü 2 bay leaves
ü 2 dry red chillies
1) Heat mustard oil in a wok. When oil turns hot and smoke billows from it, toss the fishes into the hot oil and fry them on medium low heat till fishes are nicely golden brown in color. Take them off the flame.
2) Into the same oil, add the ingredients for sauté and allow them to sizzle. Add onion and fry till translucent. Add turmeric powder, kashmiri red mirch, cumin powder and coriander powder. Sauté the spices for 2-3 minutes.
3) Add shalgam or turnip, green chillies and about 2 cups of water. Add salt. Cook covered till shalgam is cooked through and tender.
4) Toss the fried fishes into the gravy and sprinkle garam masala powder. Cook covered for 1 minute before turning the heat off.
5) Serve hot with steamed rice.