Cabbage is extremely a healthy vegetable rich with vitamin C which adds to the glow of your skin. However, eating cabbage should be avoided at night to steer clear of digestion problem. My mother used to make one tasty conventional cabbage curry cooked with Rohu fish head and potato. It was so lip-smacking that an entire meal could be finished off with that as accompaniment. Someday I would definitely post the recipe.
As for today I am posting rather an unconventional cabbage concoction. It’s cabbage cooked with chicken. I almost hewed to the recipe followed in preparing cabbage with rohu fish head, but midway through I twisted the ingredients a bit driven by my culinary whims.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 40 minutes
ü 1 medium size cabbage (chopped)
ü 1 onion (chopped)
ü 1 tomato (chopped)
ü 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
ü 250 gm boneless chicken (chopped)
ü 1 large potato (cut into cubes)
ü 2 tsp cumin powder
ü 2 tsp coriander powder
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder, plus a pinch for blanching the cabbage
ü 1tsp kashmiri red mirch
ü Salt to taste
ü 1 tsp garam masala powder
ü 1/2 cup yogurt
ü 1 tsp all-purpose flour
ü 3-4 green chillies (ground into paste), plus extra for garnishing
ü White oil for cooking
ü 1 tsp cumin seeds
ü 1 inch cinnamon stick
ü 1 bay leaf
ü 2 dry red chillies
1) Pressure-cook the cabbage covered in 2-3 cups of water. Add salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. After one whistle take it off the heat. Drain the water completely.
2) Heat oil in a wok. When oil turns hot, shallow fry the potatoes till golden brown in color. Take them off the flame and keep aside.
3) Into the same oil, add the ingredients for sauté and allow them to sputter. Add onion and fry till translucent.
4) Toss in the chicken. Fry till chicken loses its pink color. Add tomatoes.
5) When tomatoes soften a bit, add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, green chilli paste and kashmiri red mirch. Add ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for 5 minutes.
6) In a small bowl, mix in yogurt with flour. Pour this mixture into the wok. Cook till chicken and potatoes are tender.
7) Add the cabbage. Stir in to mix. Add salt. Cook covered for 2 minutes.
8) Sprinkle garam masala powder and add ghee. Mix in. Garnish with split green chillies.
9) Serve hot with roti or rice.
Note: Never during the cooking if the mixture turns dry, add too much water. Just a tbsp of water will suffice to keep the moist in.