Shahi Dum Aloo is an exotic aloo dum preparation that complements puri, luchi, paratha and even naan nicely.
For more recipes of Alu dum, check the links below:
Ingredients: (Serving 4 people) Cooking Time: approx. 20-25 minutes
ü 4 large size potatoes (cut into cubes)
ü 2 onions (ground into paste)
ü 2 tomatoes (pureed)
ü Green chilli paste made out of 5-6 green chillies, depending on your taste
ü 1 tsp of raisins made into smooth paste
ü 2 tbs of yogurt
ü 1 tsp ginger paste
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü 1 tsp coriander powder
ü 1 tsp cumin powder
ü 1/2 tsp chilli powder
ü 1 tsp of nutmeg powder
ü 1 tsp of dry mango powder
ü 1 tsp of garam masala powder
ü 1 tsp of black pepper crushed into powder
ü 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds and two dry red chillies (for sauté)
ü 2 tbs of white oil
ü Salt as per taste
1) Heat oil in a wok and fry the potato cubes till they turn slightly golden.
2) Keep the potatoes aside. Now add mustard seeds and dry red chillies into the smoking hot oil. When they begin to sputter, add onion, tomato paste and green chilli paste. Fry till they turn darker in color. Then add the raisin paste. Sauté for around 1 minute. Add ginger paste, yogurt and all the spices and sauté again for 10 minutes.
3) Add water in small measure to prevent the gravy sticking to the bottom of the pan. (Don’t overdo water as the curry needs thick gravy.)
4) When the gravy is well sautéed, add the fried potato cubes into it. Put the lid on and cook on medium heat until potatoes become tender.
6. Shahi Aloo Dum is now ready to be served.