If you think kebab can be prepared only in tandoor or oven, you are wrong. There are ways you can cook a kebab on gas oven itself with the result equally brilliant in taste. This Chermoula Chicken Skewer recipe I picked up from a cookery show telecast on a Bengali channel. I tried it for the first time and the turnout left us licking our fingers in pleasure. In fact, if this dish was served to me in a restaurant, I could not tell it apart from the ones roasted in tandoor.
Definitely a must try, this dish is surely going to win appraise from your guests. Just keep a good non-stick skillet handy.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 15 minutes
ü 400 gm boneless chicken
ü 1/2 tsp ginger paste
ü 1/2 tsp garlic paste
ü 4-5 cloves of garlic
ü 5-6 green chillies
ü 3/4 cup of coriander leaves
ü Lemon juice extracted from 2 lemons
ü 2 tsp cumin powder
ü 2 tsp coriander powder
ü Salt to taste
ü 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
ü 1 egg, beaten
ü White oil for cooking
1) Marinate the boneless chicken with lemon juice, salt and ginger-garlic paste and let it stand for 15-20 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, grind coriander leaves, cloves of garlic, and green chillies to a fine paste with 2-3 tbsp of oil. Add salt, lemon juice, cumin & coriander powder and grind again. (Please note the mixture should be of fine and smooth consistency.)
3) Further marinate the chicken with the mixture made above and for best result refrigerate it for 4-5 hours. (I refrigerated it for about 2 hours.)
4) After refrigeration, take the chicken out and mix all-purpose flour and egg with it. You have to make your hands dirty to mix in properly.
5) Heat couple of tbsp of oil in a non-stick skillet and piercing the chicken cubes with a skewer fry them on low flame. (This is again very important, turn the flame to maximum low to let the chicken roast itself beautifully. If you have an excess marinade left, scoop that on top of the chicken being fried on oven. It will add an extra zing.)
6) Serve hot.