During our Yercaud trip, the resort we stayed in regaled us with a string of lip-smacking dishes. The prawn toast was one of the culinary delights we savoured there to our hearts content. Inspired by the delicious prawn toasts, once we returned home, I tried emulating the same mixing prawns with crab meat to add my special touch. Needless to mention, my first attempt turned out to be a hit.
The recipe below is of a great dish to serve guests. No wonder it will win you scores of appreciation.
Ingredients:(makes 12) Cooking time: 30 minutes
ü 50 gm prawns
ü 75 gm crab meat
ü 1 egg, beaten
ü 2 tbsp cornflour
ü 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
ü 1/2 tsp cumin powder
ü 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
ü 1 tsp black pepper powder
ü 1 tsp garlic paste
ü 1 tsp sugar
ü Salt to taste
ü 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
ü 3 slices of day-old white bread
ü White oil for deep frying
1) Using a blender, grind crab meat and prawn into a smooth paste.
2) Add garlic paste, red chilli powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, coriander leaves, salt & sugar to the prawn crab paste and mix well. Further add 1 tbsp of cornflour and half amount of the beaten egg. Mix all the ingredients well together.
3) In another bowl, mix 1 tbsp of cornflour with the remaining half of the egg. Whisk it to slurry mixture without any lump.
4) Trim the crust of the breads and cut each slice into 4 triangles as shown below:
5) Brush the top of each bread triangle with egg and cornflour mixture, and then add 1 tbsp of prawn crab mixture. Smooth the top.
6) Heat oil in a wok. When oil turns piping hot, without overcrowding the wok, fry the toasts with prawn side-up until golden brown in color. Flip and fry the other side in similar fashion.
7) Serve hot with tomato sauce.