This is another variation of Prawn Malai Curry I recently had at one of my friends' house. If you have tried and enjoyed Prawn Malai Curry, you must check out this variation with poppy paste. It is equally delightful and savory.
For more Prawn recipes, click the links below:
Prawn Kofta Curry
Egg Prawn Mini Omelette
Prawn Malai Curry
Red Lentil with Prawns
Ingredients: Cooking time: 25 minutes
ü 500 gm prawns
ü 4 tbsp poppy paste
ü 1 onion
ü 1 tsp garlic paste
ü 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
ü 2 tbsp yogurt
ü 5-6 green chillies
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü 1 tsp cumin powder
ü 1 tsp coriander powder
ü 1 tsp kashmiri red mirch
ü 1 tsp sugar
ü Salt to taste
ü A pinch of garam masala powder
ü White oil for cooking
ü 1 bay leaf
ü 1 inch cinnamon stick
1) Grind onion and green chillies into fine paste. Keep aside.
2) Coat the prawns with a bit of turmeric powder and salt. Shallow fry them in smoking hot oil till golden in color. Keep aside.
3) Heat oil in a wok. When oil turns hot, add the ingredients for sauté and allow them to sizzle.
4) Next add the onion green chillies paste. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and kashmiri red mirch. Sauté till oil leaves the sides.
5) In a bowl, combine poppy paste and yogurt. Pour this and the fried prawns into the pan. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
6) Add the coconut milk and simmer on medium heat till prawns are cooked through and tender.
7) Sprinkle garam masala powder on top and fold in. Garnish with green chillies.
8) Serve hot with rice or pulao.