Finally, we have the beautiful summer months setting in, in USA. It is strange that the season agonizing for some could be a thing for others to look forward to. Summer climate in US is beautiful with shades of green popping up everywhere whereas in Kolkata, amidst insufferable humidity and the soaring temperature, the beauty of greenery goes unnoticed. My mother was telling me how badly the weather is there now with heat waves wearing out the last bit of strength from everyone.
I am lucky in a way to be able to escape one more summer season of Kolkata. Summer in Bangalore, however, was beautiful. Whenever the temperature soars beyond the tolerance limit, showers of rain cool the environment giving all a moment of respite. Infact, it's very uncommon in Bangalore to have A/C at home. The A/C of ours which we bought in Kolkata and used for about 2 years was of no use in Bangalore when we shifted there. Finally, before flying to US, we packed the A/C and put it on for sale.
Anyway, hope the below chicken mushroom soup recipe takes some of the heat away leaving a savory taste in your mouth.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 30 minutes
ü 100 gm boneless chicken (chopped)
ü 100 gm mushroom (sliced)
ü 2 tbsp ginger (chopped)
ü 2 tbsp garlic (chopped)
ü 1 onion (chopped)
ü 1 carrot (chopped)
ü 1 capsicum (chopped)
ü 2 stalks of celery (chopped)
ü 1 tsp nutmeg powder
ü Black pepper powder, taste wise
ü 1 1/2 tsp mixed herbs (dried oregano, rosemary and basil leaves)
ü Salt to taste
ü 1 tbsp cornflour
ü 30 gm butter
ü White oil
1) Toss the chicken in black pepper powder and salt.
2) Heat oil in a skillet. Add half of the chopped onion, ginger, garlic, capsicum and celery. Shallow fry. Add the chicken and stir in till chicken loses its pink hue. Pour water about 1 cup. Cook covered on medium heat for few minutes till the chicken and the vegetables are properly cooked and turn tender.
3) Turn the heat off and grind the chicken vegetable mixture into a fine paste. Keep aside.
4) Heat butter in another skillet and fry the mushroom. Keep aside.
5) In a wok, heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add the remaining half of the chopped onion, ginger, garlic, celery and capsicum. Shallow fry. Add the chicken paste and stir around. Add nutmeg powder and black pepper powder. Pour water according to your need for the consistency of the soup.
6) Bring the soup to a boil. In 1 cup of water mix in corn flour and pour this mixture into the soup. Sprinkle the herbs and add salt.
7) Simmer for couple of minutes more. Toss in the fried mushrooms.
8) Serve hot.