Eggplant Parmesan is an Italian delicacy cooked with eggplant, mozzarella, parmesan and basil leaves tossed together. However, in my preparation I gave mozzarella cheese a deliberate miss for health reasons. But if you love cheesy eggplant parmesan, then add mozzarella cheese alternating with parmesan cheese. It would increase the taste manifold.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 1 hour
ü 1 big or 2 medium sized eggplants, (bigger the better) cut lengthwise
ü 5 big tomatoes (chopped)
ü Parmesan Cheese, as per your craving
ü 1 cup of basil leaves (chopped)
ü 1 tsp nutmeg powder
ü 1 tsp black pepper powder
ü Salt to taste
ü 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
ü 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
ü 3-4 large eggs, whisked
ü 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
ü Olive oil
1) Shift the eggplants into a colander and rub salt on them. Place the colander on a bowl and let the black juice of eggplants drain gradually. Let them sit for an hour or so for draining.
2) Combine all-purpose flour and breadcrumbs. About this time, you may add a bit of seasoning like salt, chilli flakes or black pepper powder into this flour mixture. Coat the eggplants with this flour mixture before dipping them in eggs and then deep frying. Once they are deep fried, with the use of a napkin or paper towels drain the excess oil.
3) Now make a sauce in a blender using tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. (At least give 1/2 cup of olive oil to get the smoothness in a sauce.)
4) Preheat the oven to 180 °C or 350 °F. Now in a glass baking pan, arrange a bed placing tomato sauce followed by 1/2 of the fried eggplants, cheese and basil leaves. Sprinkle salt, black pepper powder and nutmeg powder. Again pour tomato sauce followed by aforementioned ingredients. Don't forget to sprinkle the spices once a layer is formed. This way you can make 2-3 layers. Just remember cheese should be on the top of each layer.
5) Bake the eggplants in oven for about 30 minutes till cheese melts. (I didn't add much cheese into my preparation, but you are free to add as much cheese as you want, alternating mozzarella with parmesan and using parmesan only like me. It depends on your own sweet will.)
6) Serve warm.