Last weekend we went to a Tulip Festival held three hours driving distance from Perrysburg. My husband took some nice shots of the amazing tulips caught in their splendour all across Holland. As you go driving by, different colored tulips in full bloom popping in and out of sight simply takes your breath away. I cannot help my urge to share a collage of the same. Here you go:
Another awesome recipe for you guys on green gram or what my mother termed as 'tadka dal'. So we have three recipes now - Egg Tadka Dal, Chicken Tadka Dal and now the third one 'Dal Methi Chingri'. Try it out at home and let me know if it earns you brownie points.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 30 minutes
ü 200 gm green gram or tadka dal (soaked in water for 2-3 hours)
ü 100 gm medium size prawns
ü 1 medium size onion (chopped)
ü 150 gm of methi greens or fenugreek leaves
ü 4 tsp ginger (chopped)
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü 2 tsp cumin powder
ü 1 tsp dry red chili powder
ü 5-6 green chillies (chopped)
ü 4 tbsp of whipping cream
ü 4 tsp of sugar or more as per your craving
ü Salt to taste
ü White oil for cooking
ü 1 tsp ghee (optional)
ü 1 bay leaf
ü 2 dry red chillies
ü 1/2 tsp methi seeds
1) Pressure-cook the dal in 2 cups of water. Give one whistle. Please note that the grains of the lentil should be separate. Drain the water and keep the dal aside.
2) Rub a pinch of salt and turmeric powder on the prawns and shallow fry them till they turn golden in color like the ones in the snapshot. Take them off the heat and set aside.
3) Into the same oil, add the ingredients for sauté and allow them to crackle before adding further ingredients.
4) Add ginger and onions. Shallow fry those till onions turn translucent. Add the spices - cumin powder, turmeric powder, dry red chilli powder and green chillies. Sauté till oil floats on the surface.
5) Add methi greens and mix in properly. Slide in the fried prawns. Cook covered on medium heat till prawns and greens are cooked through.
6) Pour the dal in. Give a good stir to combine well. Add salt and sugar. Simmer it away for 2 minutes.
7) Finally, add whipping cream and incorporate it well. If you want, you may drizzle ghee at the end. (I didn't add ghee in my preparation.)