We Bengalis love two things - food & travelling. Fish tops the list of our food chart. Coconut Pabda Curry is a delectable fish preparation, sure to win the hearts of all fish lovers. Below goes the recipe:
Ingredients: Cooking time: 30 minutes
ü 6 Pabda fishes of medium size
ü 1/2 cup of coconut milk ( I used canned coconut milk)
ü 2 tomatoes (chopped)
ü 5-6 green chillies (slit in the middle)
ü 1 tsp ginger paste
ü 1 tsp cumin powder
ü 1 tsp chilli powder
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü 1 tsp garam masala powder
ü 1 tsp sugar
ü Salt to taste
ü Coriander leaves (chopped for garnishing)
ü White oil for cooking
ü 2 dry red chillies
ü 1 tsp cumin seeds
ü 2 bay leaves
1) Rub salt and turmeric on fishes. Heat oil in a frying pan. When smoke comes out from the oil, add the fish pieces and shallow fry them.
2) Now heat oil in another pan. When oil turns piping hot, add the ingredients for sauté. When they begin to sputter, add tomatoes and green chillies. Sauté for 2 minutes.
3) Add ginger paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder & chilli powder. Sauté for 1 minute. Add coconut milk. Sauté for 2 minutes on medium heat.
4) Add water as per your need for gravy. When gravy comes to a boil, add garam masala, sugar and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
5) Slide in the fried fishes. Cook covered on medium heat for 2 minutes.
6) Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice.