Well, this one is my favourite cause I can use almost any vegetable of my choice for this preparation without having to segregate, but since the dish is meant to be sweet, two ingredients are mandatory - sweet pumpkin and eggplant. If possible rule out adding any bitter tasting vegetable like bitter gourd cause I dont think that bitterness would go hand in hand with sweetness.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
100 gm eggplants (cut into small cubes)
100 gm pumpkin (cut into small cubes)
100 gm papaya (cut into small cubes)
1 medium sized potato (cut into small cubes)
1 carrot (chopped)
1 small sized cauliflower (split apart into florets of medium size)
1/2 cup of cabbage (shredded)
2-3 green chillies (chopped)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp sugar or more as per your taste
salt to taste
2 tbs coconut milk (I used canned coconut milk. Optionally, you may use cow milk also)
1) First chop all the vegetables. Then boil cabbage, potato, cauliflower, papaya with a bit of salt for 10 minutes. Drain the water and keep them aside.
2) Heat oil in a cooking vessel. When smoke comes out from the oil, add cumin seeds. As you hear the sound of cumin seeds crackling, add pumpkins and lightly fry them. Then add carrots and fry them on medium heat. Add cauliflower & papaya and fry till they all appear golden.3) At this stage, add eggplants. Stir occasionally and cook covered on medium heat till eggplants soften a bit.
4) Now add rest of the other vegetables including potato, cabbage and green chillies. Add turmeric powder and mix in. Cook covered for 10 minutes on low heat. Stir occasionally.
5) Add salt, sugar and coconut milk. Cook covered on medium heat until all the vegetables are properly cooked.
6) Serve hot with roti or rice.
Post a Comment