Goan Prawn Curry is a lipsmacking prawn preparation flavoured by coconut and tamarind paste and yes, it just tumbled out of the heap of recipes while I was flurrying through the pages of my diary in quest of something interesting to prepare with the tiger prawns my hubby bought yesterday. You may prepare the dish with medium sized prawns or shrimps too. I guess it will turn out delicious with any size as long as prawn is the base ingredient.
6 Tiger Prawns
1 medium sized onion
1 tsp ginger paste
1 cup grated coconut
2 tsp of tamarind paste
1 tsp of coriander seeds
1 tsp of cumin seeds
4-5 green chillies or as per your desire for hotness
3 dry red chillies
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
White oil for cooking
1) In a blender make a paste out of grated coconuts, ginger paste, onion, tamarind paste, green chillies, dry red chillies, turmeric powder, coriander and cumin seeds.
2) Marinate the prawns with turmeric powder and salt and let it sit for 10 minutes.
3) Now heat oil in a frying pan and as the oil becomes piping hot, slide in the prawns. Fry them till they turn golden in color.
4) Take the prawns out of the heat and now add mustard seeds into the oil.When the seeds start crackling, add the paste made in a blender and saute for 10 minutes.
5) Now add the prawns, 1/2 cup of water and salt . Put the lid on and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes more. Goan Prawn Curry is ready to serve.