My mom in law being fonder of veg than non-veg cooks some excellent veg dishes. Every time when we visit Kolkata and stay in my in law's place, she treats us with varieties of veg delicacies. Knowing that I love cooking, she narrates the recipes as I keep eating. I have learnt a handful of veg recipes from her. Methi Dal is one of them.
Ingredients: Cooking time:30 minutes
1 cup moong Dal or green gram
1 cup masoor dal or red gram
1 cup of methi or fenugreek leaves
1 onion (thinly sliced)
1 tomato (chopped)
3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
5-6 green chillies (slit in the middle)
2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
lemon juice extracted from 1 lemon
White oil for cooking
1) Wash the lentils carefully with changes of water till they appear clean. Put them in pressure cooker with water 3 times the quantity of lentils by volume, add chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder. Fix the lid into the pressure cooker and cook on medium heat till one whistle.
2) Heat oil in a pan. When oil turns smoking hot, add cumin seeds. When they start crackling, add minced garlic and onions. Caramelize. When onions start changing colour to brown, add methi leaves. Sauté for 1 minute.
3) Add the lentils. Pour water as per your requirement for consistency. Add green chillies, sugar and salt. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
4) Squeeze lemon juice before serving.
5) Serve hot with rice or roti. Have pleasure.