Kumro Chingri is an authentic Bengali vegetable dish, but not for pure vegetarians ;) From medium to small, you can use shrimps of any size for this preparation. I used shrimps of small size.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 20 minutes
ü 500 gm Pumpkins (Cut into small cubes)
ü 250 gm shrimps
ü 1 onion (finely chopped)
ü 1 tsp ginger paste
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü 1 tsp cumin powder
ü 1 tsp panchphoron (a mix of five spices including cumin seeds, nigella seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and black mustard seeds)
ü 5-6 green chillies (slit in the middle)
ü 2 tsp sugar (If the pumpkin is not sweet, add sugar)
ü salt to taste
ü White oil for cooking
1) Heat oil in a cooking pan. When oil becomes hot, add panchphoron. When the spices begin to sputter, add onions and caramelize.
2) Add shrimps when onions become golden in color. Shallow fry the shrimps. Add ginger paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder & green chillies. Sauté for 1 minute.
3) Toss in the pumpkins. Cook covered on medium heat. To prevent pumpkins from burning at the bottom, add water (about 1/4 cup).
4) When pumpkins soften a bit, add salt and sugar. Continue cooking pumpkin on medium flame till pumpkins become mushy enough to mash. Use a spatula to mash the pumpkins.
5) Serve hot with roti, chapati or even rice.
Monday, November 21, 2011
Kumro Chingri - Pumpkin with shrimps
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment