I first tasted Chicken Rezala way back during the second year of my college days when in celebration of the b'day of one of my friends, she was giving few of us a treat at Aminia restaurant in Kolkata. Aminia is one of the old and best restaurants in Kolkata specialized in Mughlai foods. It might not display the dazzling extravagant decor of posh restaurants, but regardless of its simplicity in external appearance, the restaurant offers some of the mouth-watering Mughlai cuisines in its menu. I still salivate at the name of their phirni. It is one of the best phirnis I ever had in life.
This recipe below is applicable to the preparation of Mutton Rezala also. Only the cooking time will be then extended to about 2 hours till mutton becomes supple.
For more such chicken recipes, click the links below:
Chicken Mole Poblano
Bahari Palak Chicken
Ingredients: Cooking time: 1 hour approx.
1 kg chicken with bones
35-40 gm cashew nuts (ground to a paste)
1 tbsp cardamom powder
1 1/4 tbsp ginger paste
2 1/2 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 medium sized onions (ground to a paste)
250 gm whipped yogurt
150 gm cream
1/2 tsp mace powder or javitri
salt to taste
2 tsp sugar to taste
6-8 dry red chillies kept whole
6-8 green chillies (slit in the middle)
Few strands of saffron
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp rose water (optional)
White oil for cooking (Well, you may replace oil with ghee)
1) In a large bowl mix in chicken, yogurt, cardamom powder, mace powder, salt & sugar, ginger-garlic, cumin-coriander powder, cashew nuts and onion paste. Mix it thoroughly and let it marinate at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours.
2) In a wok, heat oil, add the chicken pieces shaking off the excess marinade into the bowl and saute for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
3) Add the marinade from the bowl, add the dry red chillies, mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to the minimum, cook covered for 40 minutes till chicken is tender.
4) In a small bowl heat milk and stir in saffron, heat for 1 minute and pour over the chicken, mix well.
5) Add cream and slit green chillies to the chicken, mix and check seasoning, bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6) Stir in rose water if using, simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
7) Remove from the heat and serve with rice, pulao or paratha.