Lamb Tagine is a Moroccan delicacy slowly cooked in a funnel shaped utensil called Tagine. Tagine is an earthenware pot consisting of two parts - the upper portion is a domical cover while the lower part is a flat circular plate with low sides and both combined create an array of magnificent tagine cuisines, Tunisian tagine, Chicken tagine to name a few.
Widely popular in North African Province, Lamb Tagine is slowly cooked on low heat. Braised at minimum temperature, the meat lends a wonderful aroma to the sauce mixed with vegetables. Since Tagine is not available in my city, for my preparation I have used a non-stick cookware with a cover that has a properly fitted outlet to let off the steam. It took me about 2 hours exactly before I turned off the gas. But I believe, if you pressure cook the meat with two or three whistles before you set it for marinade and further slow cooking, it would tenderize the meat to the desired consistency within less time.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 2 hours
ü 1 kg Lamb
ü 1 cup of orange juice
ü 3 onions (2 coarsely chopped and 1 cut into thin strips)
ü 1 tomato (chopped)
ü 1 tsp ginger paste
ü 1 tsp garlic paste
ü 1 tsp cinnamon powder
ü 1 tsp cumin powder
ü Salt to taste
ü 1 tbsp lemon juice
ü 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
ü Few stalks of fresh parsley leaves (chopped)
ü 1/2 tsp rose essence or saffron
ü White oil for frying
1) Marinate the lamb with orange juice, chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste, cinnamon powder, cumin powder, 1 1/2 tsp salt and lemon juice. Keep the marinade for 1 hour.
2) Heat oil in a large saucepan that has a cover. When oil becomes smoking hot, add the chopped onions. Fry them till onions turn translucent. Toss in the marinated lamb along with the marinade and cook covered on low flame.
3) In a separate pan, fry the 3rd onion cut into thin strips and fry it till it turns brown in color. Add the chopped parsley leaves and fry till crisp. When lamb becomes tender, add mix this fried mixture with the lamb curry. Stir in.
4) Drizzle rose essence or saffron. Stir around.
5) When the gravy bursts with the flavour of lamb and rose essence, turn off the heat and serve the dish hot with rice or pulao.