Sweet Tangy Chana Masala is an awesome concoction that complements chapati, roti and even rice well. Post-marriage in Kolkata, this is what I carried in tiffin to my workplace often, mostly because it was easy and took less time for preparation.
Ingredients: Cooking time: 20 minutes
ü 150 gm of chickpeas (soaked overnight)
ü 2 medium sized onions
ü 2 tomatoes
ü 5-6 green chillies
ü 1 tsp ginger paste
ü 1 tsp garlic paste
ü 1 tsp cumin powder
ü 1 tsp coriander powder
ü 1 tsp turmeric powder
ü 1 tsp chilli powder
ü 1 tsp dry mango powder
ü 1/2 cup of tamarind pulp
ü 2 tsp of sugar
ü salt to taste
ü White oil for cooking
ü 2 dry red chillies
ü 1 tsp cumin seeds
1) Boil the chickpeas in pressure cooker till 8 whistles. Drain and keep aside.
2) In a processor grind onion, tomatoes and green chillies to a smooth paste.
3) Heat oil in a wok. When oil turns piping hot, add the ingredients for saute and wait for them to crackle.
4) Add onion, tomato and green chillies paste and fry them till they turn translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste. Stir around for 1 minute. Mix in the spices including dry mango powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and tamarind pulp. Saute for 5-8 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water when the mixture gets dry.
5) Pour the boiled chickpeas into the mixture. Fold in, add salt and sugar. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
6) Serve hot with chapati or rice.